October 18, 2008

Random book- tv connection

I am currently reading (among other books) "How to Read Literature Like a Professor". It is an interesting book with a lot of helpful hints and sly humor.
I am reading a chapter and watching an episode of House when it hits me.... the numerous parallels between the character House and the character Sherlock Holmes. I started laughing as I mentally listed them. I thought I would share:

House Holmes
Valium Cocaine
Piano Violin
Detective
Off-putting manner Know-it-all
Melancholy
Dr. Wilson Dr. Watson
Genius
Long narratives to explain himself
Must be doing something while thinking
Drives one nuts in a good way
Compelling character
Doesn't deal well with failure


Can you come up with more? What about other TV characters and their counterparts in books?
Just a random mental exercise.
Have fun!

No comments: